Wednesday, January 2, 2013

New year.... New plans... New England?

Yesterday, I spent some time putting together a post 'outing' ourselves for considering a POSSIBLE move to New England.

But I deleted it... Because once I re-read the post, I thought it sounded as if our decision was a done-deal.
Which it is not...
It's just talk, but the next few months will be interesting to say the least.
So... You may ask... WHY would anyone choose to move TO the colder weather?
Why not just vacation?
Because... My friends, a family of 6 is VERY expensive to get out of Florida.
Thousands of dollars to get on an airplane... To anywhere.

Our last Orlando trip... Cost is $778 just to get into Universal studios!
Crazy.
(this is a $1,000 photo? wow)
Anyone that knows us shouldn't be surprised that we think about leaving.
We've been THINKING about it for years.

Our friends, Roger and Lara moved up there 5 years ago....
Here they are with Wade a few years back.

The Berkshire Mountains, in western MA, is an easy area to fall in love with...

it has backyards with brooks running through them...


I'd like to get up there while my children still want to explore a nature trail.

Lenox, MA - has a library that looks like this.... Beautiful, isn't it?

And the entire county looks like a postcard....

A Saturday afternoon adventure is the local Shaker Community
(which the Davis/Brown families tackled in 2009)
Think about it.... Boston is a 2 hour drive away.
New York City is a 2 hour train ride away... Nice.

I like the idea that the kids will see these colors (for free) in autumn

Is it so wrong to dream that they can do this... Often?


I really love the bubble that my kids live in now... but it's becoming harder to protect them EVERYWHERE.

If I have to move to Mayberry to keep their 'protective bubble'.... so be it.

in a back yard that looks like this.... (while they are young enough to enjoy it)

I'd be doing the one thing I promised I'd never do... Leave family.
Bryan's family


And mine...

But... I have faith that, in time, everyone will visit -- extended stays.

Truth is... Bryan and I are born here - vacations have been our only out.
I married a guy who LOVES to ski; his mouth salivates at the thought that the northern 1/3 of this country has seasonal passes because it's 'the thing to do' up there.

He's put in 22+ years of police work.... He's EARNED the change.

We could be LIVING the vacation.

Yes... I'll be looking for employment in an area that hospitals are 40 miles from each other... YIKES!
Which translates into I better LOVE my job because it's the only one around.

Yes.... Bryan would be giving up $$$ by not completing his full DROP
(if you don't know what the DROP is... Just know it's a chunk of change)

But I like the idea of having kids that go to THIS high school... Gorgeous.
And I'd want Olivia to START high school there... Not transfer during a school year.

Bryan and I have some decisions to make... To discuss over these next few months.

Would such a drastic move put the kids in therapy?
Would it put ME in therapy? (maybe)

I'm hoping that by posting our thoughts here, our friends and family will have some insight as to why we leave (this summer)
Or
Why we choose to STAY.

Nothing wrong with talking out loud, right?


No comments: